Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Fall is finally here


Footprints and maple leaves, Millstream Gardens, near Fredericktown, MO

I spent a nice weekend motorcycling around the Ozarks in search of the first signs of fall. This photograph sums up the trip. Looking at this photo gives me a very strong urge to break out the backpack and sleeping bag and hit the trail (any trail) for a few days. It was a whirlwind trip through some favorite places to see how the color was progressing. I'll probably head back to some of these spots again in the next week or two as the chlorophyll continues to dissipate.

I visited Millstream Gardens, Pickle Spring, Johnson's Shut-ins and Elephant Rocks. The problem with trying to cram so many places into basically an evening and the following morning is that you can't get the best light for everything (or even decent light for anything in my case). I was treating this as a scouting run, so I'll give the area the time it deserves on my next trip.

Some nice places to visit for fall color in Missouri:

  • Pickle Spring Natural Area (near Farmington)
  • Millstream Gardens Conservation Area (near Fredericktown)
  • Johnson's Shut-ins State Park (near Ironton)
  • Hickory Canyon Natural Area (near Farmington)
  • Maple Woods Natural Area (in Gladstone)
  • Current River (near Eminence)
  • Wildcat Glades Natural Area (near Joplin)

More to come in the following days.



Johnson's Shut-ins, Black River, Reynolds Co. MO

0 comments:

Post a Comment