Saturday, September 4, 2010

Hercules Beetle



One of the artists in the office brought in a Hercules beetle he found in his front yard. These little creatures are very interesting once you get past the initial ick factor. This one didn't move around a whole lot. I tried not to pester him too long and only photographed him for a few minutes before letting him outside to do his thing.



Once he latched on to the tree branch in the studio, he was nearly impossible to pick up and move. All the little claws and hairs gripped the tree bark with surprising strength. I was worried I was going to break his shell, so I let him walk around at his own pace and moved the camera and lighting to accommodate him.



A closeup of his face reveals the texture of the darker shell around the horn that previously looked smooth. The male beetles use their horns to battle for mates, and I'd guess by the scratches on this guy's head that he has done some fighting.



A closer look at the back of the shell shows rows of tiny holes that were very hard to see with the naked eye. I don't know what function they serve, perhaps breathing?


D.

0 comments:

Post a Comment