Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Baby Hawks Update


I just wanted to share an update on the baby hawks from a previous post. These little things grow fast. I first photographed this family on May 20, 2010. The "before" photo is from that first day, the "after" photo is only 12 days later on June 1, 2010. And the biggest one had already left the nest! I went back two days later to see what sort of development had taken place and only one young bird remained. I think this was the runt of the nest because it was constantly being pushed down and food taken by the two other siblings. I feel I was very lucky because I actually got to see this one leave the nest and take flight.



The bird looked a little unsteady and hopped/flew from branch to branch to a clear spot before taking off.


























...pause for silhouette...



Take a breath, gather some nerve...and gone. So long little hawks!

I've been back a couple more times, but haven't seen the family since. It was a very rewarding experience just to watch and enjoy. I learned quite a bit about their habits, and I am in awe at just how fast they matured. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that this nest gets used in the future!

2 comments:

  1. You are so lucky! I'd give up an important toe for a nest like that nearby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are too cute! I just had a hawks nest in my backyard this past year, and I have a day by day of them growing up until they all left the nest, this is our second year with them - it is truly one of a kind experience! greA+ pictures too! you gotta knack!

    ReplyDelete